Thursday 7 February 2013

Here and Now

So I think you could safely say I'm struggling a bit to fit blogging in around a VERY hectic day-to-day life...well, I did warn you that the posts were going to be sporadic! Since I last posted, I've been up to my eyes with schoolwork, lesson planning and preparation and the like. Fun times! I adore the classroom side of teaching, it's just the paperwork can be a bit of a pain at times. I've also been following along Miss Smith's online scrapbooking class 'Telling Tales'. While I haven't really been doing much of the crafty stuff (yet!), I'm really enjoying the mix of scrapbook, photo and journalling prompts arriving daily in my inbox. One of the journalling prompts was about documenting the here and now, the little daily things, with a series of simple questions. I think that this aspect of scrapbooking, emphasising the mundane and the trivial, is so important. We'll all remember the birthdays and festivities and big events, but it is the everyday detail that can get lost and forgotten. So I said I'd give it a go...

What are you working on?
Day to day lesson planning, ideas for my ‘Journeys Far and Near’ theme, classroom decorations, trying to think of ways to build this spanking new blog

What music are you singing along to in your head?
Country Roads, having done it in school this week: 'Almost heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains.....aarrggh, going to be singing it all night now - and more than likely aloud rather than in my head!)

If you had a day off to yourself tomorrow, what would you do?
Have a lie in (a.k.a., anything past 7.30am!), bake something from scratch for breakfast, scrapbook, go shopping with my sister and visit numerous coffee shops with friends, cook a Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal in the evening (seriously, the flavours he can fit in are amazing!) and curl up by the fire

What have you learned this week?
When somebody dies, it is impossible to know what to say to the bereaved person – there simply are no words to express grief and pain

What was the last thing that made you laugh?
The children in my class repeatedly asking me if their good behaviour is ‘brownie-worthy’! They get 'brownie points' for whole class positive behaviour, and they are literally OBSESSED with my brownie tray display :D

What are you enjoying on TV?
Grey’s Anatomy, old episodes of Friends, whatever I happen to tune into at the weekend as I am TV-less from Monday to Friday (sadface)

What are you reading?
J.K. Rowling’s ‘The Casual Vacancy’ (and I’m really enjoying it, despite all the criticism and bad press it has received)


What was the last really yummy thing you cooked?
Well, it doesn’t really count as cooking per se since it only involves melting, mixing and chilling, but I made chocolate biscuit cake for my class yesterday as a treat – they were delighted :D

What is inspiring you?
Reading blogs, new friendships, Pinterest, Miss Smith’s ‘Telling Tales’ scrapbooking class

What are you worrying about?
Getting everything I need to do done on time, my very first set of parent teacher meetings next week (help!)

I really enjoyed doing this, and might make it into a regular thing. I think it could be really interesting to compare how my answers might vary also...something to think about!

Thank you so much if you're still reading :D

Sinéad xxx


6 comments:

  1. Great list! I am enjoying new friendships too and love that brownie tray idea! Its so much fun doing posts like this regularly. I look back on my blog and feel so grateful that I chose to record those little moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abi! And thank you so much for the sweet shout-out on your blog :D You're too kind!

      Delete
  2. Hello, friend of Abi and Miss Smith! Welcome to blogworld :) I'm Mel, and I'm a part-time primary teacher (at the moment - long story...) Lovely to 'meet' you :)

    PS Yay to Jamie Oliver!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, lovely to meet you! Just hopped over to your blog and I love it, definitely will be following along from now on:D Glad to meet another Jamie enthusiast - seriously, he can do no wrong! Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I've arrived here via Abi's blog and just wanted to say hello! I'm doing the Telling Tales course too, I've managed to do a few pages and love receiving those regular emails with ideas and inspiration. I'm Deb, and I am a school secretary in a Secondary school. So I'm also wishing you lots of good luck for parents' evening as I know how they can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, thank you so much for your lovely comment! I just hopped over to your blog and I'm loving what you're creating for 'Telling Tales' - aren't Miss Smith's prompts so great? Hoping to get a bit of crafty time in during half-term. Thanks also for your good luck wishes for parent teacher meetings! Much appreciated :D

      Delete