Friday 16 August 2013

The Story of a Friendship

Once upon a time, there was a girl called Abi. She wrote a beautiful blog that I'm sure you are familiar with, where she shared tales of her life at boarding school, and later on her gap year and at uni in northern England. She posted stunning photos and inspiring craft projects, intermingled with snippets and slices of her everyday life. I found her home on the web through some other craft blogs and was instantly hooked by her limitless talent and the web of words she weaves. I was so excited to discover someone the same age as me, who had similar interests. There aren't many girls in their early twenties who have a passion for crafts and wool and blogging and storytelling! After a while, I plucked up the courage to comment on her posts. Before I knew it, we became Facebook friends, and then progressed from short Facebook messages to long emails. We shared stories of our day-to-day experiences... Abi told me about her uni life while I relayed stories about teaching and waiting for the inspector to arrive! We talked about everything and anything, and gradually the emails became longer and longer as we got to know each other better and shared more! I looked forward to a message from Abi popping up in my inbox, and enjoying her stories curled up with a cup of tea (what else?!). This blog wouldn't be here if it weren't for the gentle nagging and inspiration of Abi. True story!
So when my parents got me the present of a trip to London with my sister for my 21st birthday, I wondered if maybe we could meet. We had chatted so much online that I already felt I knew Abi even though we'd never met in real life. So I asked her in my next mammoth email if she'd be interested in coming to London during the summer when I'd be there. And she said she'd love to! I was so excited. We'd be able to chat about Project Life and uni and teaching and blogging and everything. It was going to be magic.
And last Wednesday, I finally got to meet the lovely lady who I have formed a friendship with through blogging and emailing. And though I was a little nervous as I saw her mustard cardigan coming through a crowded Covent Garden, I needn't have worried. We talked and talked the entire time, as we strolled around the streets of bustling London. We shared a real cup of tea (as opposed to a virtual one!) and lunch in a cute little place (once we got past all the sushi places London has to offer!). We took some photos (me with the SLR, she with the iPhone). It was magic. We never stopped talking, and Abi was just as sweet and friendly and lovely as I imagined. And all too soon, the hours had flown past and Abi had to go back to her train. So we walked to the tube station and shared a huge hug before she disappeared into the stream of Londoners.
Thank you for a wonderful afternoon Abi! I can't wait to meet again.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sinead ~ Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment you left for me! :o) Abi is such a darling, and it made me really happy to read your post and know that you actually had the chance to meet her in person. I've met a few blog friends now, and even though there are butterflies just before the actual meet up, I have found that nerves are quickly calmed as soon as we say a proper hello and have a chance to hug. I LOVE that about blogging, and I'm so glad to know that you and Abi have had the pleasure of becoming friends in real life as well as blog friends. Wonderful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sinead, and lovely to find you! Thank-you so much for visiting me, and it's a delight to read your wonderful story of meeting with Abi :). You both look so very happy, and it is heart warming to read how you met a like-minded soul. Looking forward to popping in and seeing what you are creating and making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sinead - I've seen you a few times over on Abi's blog and it's been wonderful to hear of your friendship ... I think there are several of us who have developed strong bonds through our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fabulous story to read Sinead. So glad you had the chance to meet up in London. Hopefully the next meetup will be on your home soil. I love Abi, she is funny, sweet, intelligent and just all around amazing,
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story! Your photos have put a big smile on my face..where would we be without blogging, eh? There is something very special about meeting up with an online friend and I hope you get the chance to get together with the lovely Abi again soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to make the in person connection. Relationships are so important and sometimes hard to make & keep. Lovely recap of yours & Abi's story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post....I've been lucky enough to meet a few of my blog friends....and it really is wonderful to have that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad this worked out; it sounds awesome! I hope you enjoyed your London trip but this sounds like the cherry on the top! I love meeting fellow bloggers; it's always lovely to find out you have such a lot on common even though you may never have met.

    ReplyDelete